Saturday, March 31, 2012

Random Conference Thoughts

So far, so good.

Today's sessions were absolutely incredible. Everything I needed.

One of my favorite things about Conference is the way so many people can come together, particularly through social media. As the sessions proceed, thousands of people around the world are sharing their thoughts and testimonies through Twitter. With one simple hashtag (#LDSConf), anyone can join in the conversation and share the event with people who are not familiar with what is going on.

It's a way to make new "friends" and interact with others with your same thoughts and beliefs.
It is a form of missionary work.
It is a testimony builder.
It's incredible.

Saturday night is always the Priesthood session.
All the men of the church gather together around the world to receive special instruction.
While theirs isn't broadcast like every other session, there are ways to access the talks later.
I always go back and read/watch them, just so I know what to be expecting from the men in my life.
Tonight I was out with my mom and sister, but followed along a little bit via Twitter.

"Men who bear God's holy priesthood should be different from other men."
- David A. Bednar

I love that.
So much.
And it's so true. 

During the Priesthood Session last October, a friend of mine wrote a Conference-y post, and included this swell paragraph. 

"The thought of all the priesthood together right now, it so amazing to me. I don't know who the lucky guy will be that gets to sweep me off my feet, and ride off into the sunset. But I bet I know right where he is right now, and it makes my heart smile. . . right at this moment he is just sitting there, learning how to make me happy. Maybe playing with his tie, or taking a few notes.(At lest he better be! right?)"

While it's not a guarantee that "he" was there, I like to think he was. Or if he had something keeping him away, that he'll go back and watch the talks. From what I hear it was a great evening. 

Tomorrow I get to be at the sessions in person. 
I've only missed a couple since I've been back in Utah, and I love that I have that blessing. 
There are so many members around the world (nearly 14 million!!), and I am one of the lucky ones to live just an hour away from Church headquarters. 
There are members who don't even have a church building to go to. 
There are people who can't be open about their faith, people who are breaking laws of their country to be a part of it. 
So while it means waking up at 6 tomorrow morning, it's worth it. 
I'm a lucky girl and I need to not complain about that

President Uchtdorf always has just the talk that I need to hear and I get to hear it in person. 
I get to be in the same room as the prophet, his counselors, and other church leaders who have been chosen to bear the keys and the means to share the words our Heavenly Father needs us to hear. 

I love this gospel. 
The church is true. 
That's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and leave your thoughts!