Monday, November 26, 2012

Then & Now

The last few nights, my sleep has been filled with flashback-like dreams.

One night was devoted to the days of working at the Marana Texas Roadhouse.
I wasn't necessarily re-living it, just continuing.
All the same people were back and working.
It was like nothing had changed.

There were two different nights of my high school life.
One of soccer.
Another of my choir and drama groups.

There were appearances by people I haven't seen or talked to in years.

It was all very strange.
And it got me thinking.

As a whole person, I wouldn't say I'm much different than I was in high school.
Physically and otherwise, I feel pretty much the same...


I mean, I've cut back a bit on the eye makeup, but other than that... I even still wear these clothes! 
For your entertainment(?) here are the rest of the senior pics... 

But as I thought about it, I'm really such a different person now than I was then. 
I'm doing things and going in a direction I never imagined. 

For one, my career path is completely different.
As a senior in high school I was still set on the whole medical field idea. 
I played soccer, but that's about it as far my sports involvement was concerned. 

Now? That's all my life revolves around. 
I work in sports.
I watch sports.
I choose to listen to sports radio.
Say what??
I never would have thought. 

Like any typical teenage girl, I was sure I'd be at a different stage in my life than I actually am. 
We grow up thinking, surely, I'll go to school, get a couple years in, find that special someone and live happily ever after. 
Well, here I am, 4 1/2 years later, and I'm happy and working toward that ever after, just on my own so far. 
And that's completely ok. 
Sure, the list of "People I Never Thought Would Get Married Before Me" is always growing, but it's cool. 
Just means my guy is going to be that much more awesome. 

As a senior, I thought Marana would always be home. 
That's where I would return to for holidays. 
That's where my parents would always live and familiarity would always be. 
So much for that. 
Now my parents live in a small town. They are the only people I know. 
When I go 'home' it's to be with my family and that's it. 
It has it's pros and cons, for sure, but there's nothing I can do about it. 

****

While not much of anything has gone as I expected, I'm grateful for it. 
The experiences I've had and the decisions I've made have made me who I am. 
And guess what?
I kind of like her. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, the "people I never thought would get married before me list" so true. All of my "well, if we're both still around in 10 years" boys are taken. And I've still got 3.5 years to that 10 year mark.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love and leave your thoughts!