Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pants & Prayers & Perplexities

It all started with pants.


LDS women all over decided they were tired of being "different" in the eyes of the church. 
They organized this whole deal, encouraging women to wear pants to church on a specific Sunday. 
Supposedly it was going to be a way to "stick it to the man" and be express their disgruntlement with gender inequality in the church. 

Here are a couple articles about it in case you missed it...

Salt Lake Tribune
New York Times

I figured it was just a phase, but then it came to prayers. 


All of a sudden women were angry that our gender wasn't being represented in General Conference and other meetings. 
To be honest, I'd never even noticed that women weren't praying. 
Even once it was pointed out it me, I thought "Meh. Just the way it goes, I guess."

Apparently their efforts paid off today.

(even though the article says "Church spokesman Scott Trotter would not confirm or deny the female prayers.")

And it's not that I have a problem with women praying in Conference. 

The problem I have is that they think there is a problem with gender equality. 
Historically, our church is all about the men.
They have the Priesthood, they are the leaders. 

But the way I see it, that's not in any way saying that women are inferior or less important. 
Yes, it's sort of stereotypical that we have the babies, raise them, cook the dinner, clean the house, and play the mom role, but SO WHAT?
What's wrong with that?

I am so proud to be a woman in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 
There is nothing wrong with the role that we have. 
It is difficult and incredibly important to have that in the church. 
I can't wait to be married in the temple, have those babies and make that dinner. 
At the same time though, I plan on having a career. 
Guess what? You can do both. 

It's not an issue of equality, it's just differences. 
If you're in to this sort of thing and the 'issues,' that's great. 
I just don't get it.
I don't see any injustice or anything being done wrong. 
This church is led by incredible men and women who have the Lord on their side. 
That's the only opinion that really matters to me. 

Ok, rant over. Carry on :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh I definitely have opinions about this and about the women who are making such a fuss. But rather than get as specific as I could I'll say that these women don't have a clear understanding of the role of women. They don't understand the role of women in the Church, in the family, in the world, in the TEMPLE (I know it's annoying when people make temple references to those who haven't been through, so sorry, but if you have then you have such a deeper understanding of "womanhood" and "equality"). These women are bitter over stupid things. Want to wear pants to church? Go for it! Just wear your best. That's all the Lord ever asks is for your best. Nobody is kicking anyone out of church for wearing pants. As far as the prayer thing, I'm with you, I never noticed. In fact, I feel like they're wrong and women have prayed in General Conference. Maybe it was another meeting but I've definitely heard women pray at big church events. Ugh, I'm not keeping my first promise to not be specific. I'll go now. Well written, Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan- I have strong feelings about these types of issues. I will absolutely agree that our church is led by strong men and women. As a mom, I want both of my kids to see all that women and men can do. Women haven't prayed in General Conference, and there is no scriptural/theological basis for that. Women used to not be able to pray in Sacrament Meetings either. So I think it's a good thing. I also think that while it may not matter to many women, it does very much matter to many men and women. I hope that people who didn't personally think it was a big deal will respect people who do. (Not that I thought you were being disrespectful.) I love you! Brig

    ReplyDelete

Show some love and leave your thoughts!