Monday, February 27, 2012

Tender Mercies

“But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance”
(1 Ne. 1:20)

It's election week here at Utah State. 
It's always an interesting week for me. 
Two years ago, I was among those running for office.
And then I didn't win. 
At first, it was hard. 
It hurt. 
But as time has gone on, the more I've realized that it's what needed to happen. 
Mom said it perfectly today. 
Sometimes losing is winning. 
In the years since that election, everything has slowly fallen together. 
I've had my ups and downs, everyone has, but in the end, it's all working out.

If I had won, who knows what would have happened. 
That year got super dramatic among officers.
I would not have had the time to be involved in the things I ended up with. 
I would not be in the job at Athletics that I am. 
I would not be in the position to continue my education at Utah State. 
I would not be on the same career path. 

There would have been positives too, but in the end,
I'm glad I didn't win. 
I am in a much better spot now because of it. 

It's funny how things work out. 
Answers to prayers come in funny ways. 
I needed to run. I know that. 
I learned a lot from it. 
I grew. 
But it needed to end the way it did. 

"Some may count this experience as simply a nice coincidence, but I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them ... Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ."
(The Tender Mercies of the Lord - David A. Bednar, 2005)

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Meg! I'm so glad things are going well for you. It's always interesting to look back and see the Lord's plan for you and how you got where you are. Gives a girl more faith in the unknown future :)

    ReplyDelete

Show some love and leave your thoughts!